Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread



This is a recipe that has been handed down for generations in my family.  I still remember as I little kid with my Grandma standing over me teaching me how to knead the dough and form it into pretty loaves.  This is what I make for my family for bread every week and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

3 c. warm water
1 T. salt
1 T. yeast
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. honey
9-10 c. whole wheat flour (I use a wheat grinder)

* In your mixer (I use a Bosch and these directions are specifically for that.  They will work for all mixtures you just will have to work with it until you get it right).  Add water, salt, yeast, dough enhancer, oil and honey.  A trick with the oil and honey is to use the oil first and then add the honey to the same measuring cup so the honey will come right out without sticking.

*  Then turn mixer on and start adding the flour.  Add about 6 c. then turn off and scrap the sides off.  Turn back on and continue to add flour until the dough does not stick to the sides.  Then let mixer knead the dough for 10 mins.  When done, take out and form into two loaves and place in greased bread pans.  Let raise till double in size (about an hour, will take longer because wheat is heavier, just be patient with it and put it in a warm space).

* Cook at 375 degrees for 33 mins.  I have played with this time till the inside is perfect for us.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  If it is too doughy keep it in a little longer and vice versa.  Remove immediately from pans and let cool.

TIPS:  Bread is something that takes time to get right.  Don't be afraid to keep trying if it doesn't turn out many times.  You will get use to the feel and when you have the right amount of flour.  Everytime you make it it will get better.
Blogging tips