Nothing sounds better to me on cold days than soup. Chicken noodle is my absolute favorite.
3-4 pd. whole chicken
1 small onion
2 bay leaves
2 T. salt
2 t. rosemary
* In large stockpot, put chicken and cover with water. The more water, the more broth you will have. Add onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt and rosemary. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 3-4 hours. Remove chicken from pot and let cool completely. Strain broth and put back in stockpot and simmer gently. Add the vegetables now if you want.
2 c. flour, divided
2 t. salt
3 beaten eggs
1/3 c. water
1 t. canola oil
* In large mixing bowl, stir together 1 3/4 c. of the flour and salt. Make a well in center of flour. In small mixing bowl combine eggs, water and oil. Add to dry mixture and mix well.
* Sprinkle kneading surface with rest of flour. Knead dough on floured surface til dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. On lightly floured surface, roll each portion out into about 12-inch square about 1/8-1/4 in. thick. Let stand, uncovered 20 minutes.
* While dough is resting, bebone chicken (remove all meat from the chicken bones) and put meat back in the broth.
* Using pizza cutter cut all 4 dough squares in 1/2 inch long pieces. Add to boiling broth and cook for 10 minutes. Serve.
Optional: Add carrotts, celery, peas, etc. after you have removed the chicken and strained the broth. When vegetables are tender, add noodles.
Optional: Serve over mashed potatoes. This is my husband's very favorite way to have them.