Monday, April 12, 2010

Roasted Asparagus

It's that time of year!  We love when asparagus comes in season (at least now I do).  As I kid my mother would send us out to collect it wild along our ditch banks and I dreaded it.  I hated eating it and always thought it was too mushy.  When I tried it again as an adult I fell in love, (thanks Mom).  I love the flavor and healthiness of this recipe, plus I cook it till it is barely done and still crisp, so no mushiness here.

2 lbs asparagus
2 T. olive oil
1 T. Kosher salt

* Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Wash asparagus and cut off bottom 1-2 inches (it really just depends on how thick your asparagus is, thinner ones cut off closer to 1 inch, thicker ones more) of each asparagus stalk.  Dry off any excess water from washing and place in 9 x 13 pan.  Drizzle with olive oil and toss to cover all stalks.  Sprinkle on salt.  Put in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.  After about 10 minutes rotate pan and toss asparagus.  Let cook until it reaches your desired tenderness.  

* I like it barely done so I do about 15 minutes but if you want it softer, cook longer.
Blogging tips