Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chicken Azteca

First:  for the next week I will be in and out so if the posts are farther apart, please keep checking back and I will post some new recipes as soon as I can.  I am catering a geology conference and then it's off to my brother's wedding.
This was one of those meals that I thought "Oh , I'm sure that would be good, I will have to try it someday".  It didn't stick out in my mind enough remember it but one day we were having some friends over for dinner and I had lots of chicken, so I went searching through my recipes and found this again.  So I tried it and WOW!  It had wonderful flavor and is something I am definitely going to remember from now on.  It was stellar and everyone loved it, not too mention it makes a lot so perfect for having friends over.

2-15 oz cans black beans, drained
4 c. frozen corn
2 garlic cloves, mince
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. onion powder
2 c. salsa (I make my own but Pace would work too)
6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1- 8 oz. pck. cream cheese
Cooked rice
Monteray Jack cheese, shredded

*  Combine black beans, corn, garlic, cumin and 1 c. salsa in the bottom of your crockpot.  Arrange chicken breasts on the top and pour remaining salsa over the chicken.  Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or 4-6 hours on low.  Shred chicken (you can take it out and cut it in bite-size pieces but I just used two forks and pulled it apart in the crockpot).  Stir in cream cheese and cook for 2-3 more hours on low.  Spoon chicken and sauce over cooked rice and top with cheese.  Enjoy!
Blogging tips