Saturday, August 7, 2010

Grilled Zucchini


It's that time of year.  Does anyone else have zucchini coming out their ears?  We sure do and right now I am loving it.  There are so many things to do with zucchini and in the next few weeks I will share several different ways to have them as main dishes, desserts and side dishes.  This one is one of our absolute favorites.  I love zucchini "barely done", not squishy or slimy so the times are based on being "barely done".  If you like it the other way cook longer.  On another zucchini note, zucchini have much better flavor when they are small to medium.  I picked my zucchini often so they never get bigger than a medium size and I would encourage you to do the same.  If you end up missing one (they do tend to hide) it will work well for baked recipes like zucchini bread or this chocolate zucchini cupcake.

2 medium zucchini
2 T. butter
Santa Maria Seasoning (this is my favorite but any kind you like will do)

1.  Lay out a double layer of tin foil.  Cut your zucchini into small circles, the skinnier they are the faster they will cook.  Place on tinfoil.  Cut your butter 8 pieces and spread over zucchini.  Sprinkle on your seasoning.  Wrap your tin foil tightly around your zucchini, making sure to keep the zucchini mostly flat.  BBQ on your grill for 8-12 minutes* over medium heat, flipping over half way through.
2.  My husband (who does the actual grilling) says the best thing to do is cook the folded over side first that way the juices won't leak out as much.

* This time is based on my bbq that cooks hot.  Check every 2-3 minutes, after 10 minutes, if you need to, to make sure it is not over done.
Blogging tips