Saturday, September 25, 2010

Peanut Butter French Toast Waffles w/Mixed Berry Sauce


What a long name!  As you know I love making breakfast at my house.  So when I came across this from Bobby Flay I thought I would give it a try because the picture looked so yummy.  I have to say I didn't like it.  I debated about whether to share this but I decided in the affirmative.  I don't know about you but there are many times when I try a recipe and we don't like it, but other people do so if you try it and like it, let me know!

Mixed-Berry Sauce:
One 16-oz. bag frozen mixed berries, thawed
1/4 c. sugar
2 T. seedless raspberry preserves (we used strawberry jam)
1 T. fresh lemon juice
‘Waffles’:
8 slices whole-wheat or white bread, crust removed
4 large eggs
3/4 c. milk
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
4 T. smooth peanut butter
Nonstick spray

1. The night before: Put bread on a baking rack; let stale overnight. 

2. Combine the fruit and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil; stir occasionally, until berries soften, 10 minutes.  

3. Transfer berry mixture to a blender or food processor. Add the raspberry preserves and lemon juice; blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; cool to room temperature. 

4. Crack eggs into a medium baking dish and whisk lightly. Add milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt; whisk.  

5. Spread 1 Tbsp of peanut butter on 4 slices of bread. Top with remaining slices to make four sandwiches. Flatten slightly. Soak sandwiches in egg mixture, 4 to 5 minutes per side (we found that 2-3 minutes was plenty). 

6. Heat a square four-slot waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Spray top and bottom grates with nonstick spray. Remove sandwiches from the egg mixture using a slotted spatula, allowing excess liquid to drip off. Make two at a time on the diagonal of the grates. Press down gently at first, then add a little pressure to the cover and press until it is completely closed. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully remove each waffle to a plate. Drizzle with mixed-berry syrup.
Blogging tips