Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saltine Toffee


Do you ever have saltine crackers laying around?  I do and I never know what to do with them.  They usually go stale before we use them again.  When I found them I knew I had found my answer.  They taste fabulous, even if they are made from crackers!
On another note, I am off to South Carolina for a little vacation.  I am looking forward to some wonderful Southern food and hopefully some recipes to share.

Saltine crackers
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
12 oz. chocolate chips
Pecans, chopped (optional)

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line cookie sheet with foil and butter heavily.  Place crackers side by side to cover cookie sheet, salted side up.
2.  In a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine butter and brown sugar and cook until it boils and bubbles (3-4 minutes), stirring constantly.  Pour over crackers, covering them all completely.  Bake for 7 minutes.

3.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. When melted, spread chocolate with spatula. If you want nuts, sprinkle over chocolate and press down with spatula.  When cool, break into pieces and enjoy!
Blogging tips