Thursday, October 14, 2010

Almond Poppyseed Muffins


My friend Michelle gave me a great new cookbook and we have been trying several new recipes from it.  This was one of the first that we tried.  My kids love poppyseed muffins, especially the Costco variety, so when I saw this I thought maybe I could start making them instead of buying them.  I need to work a little more with the recipe, though.  I think the almond needs to be a little stronger (see below) and it was a little too airy for my tastes.  But my kids and my hubby liked them and they were perfect with fruit.  

1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
2 T. poppy seeds
1 t. baking powder
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 t. almond extract (the original recipe calls for 1/2 t., so if you don't like almond very much I would stick with that)
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, poppy seeds, and salt. In a separate medium bowl, cream butter, sugar and almond extract until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well mixed.

2.  Slowly add dry ingredients to the butter mixture just until moistened.  Add milk and stir until barely combined.  Pour into greased (or lined) muffin pan.

3.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Let cool 5 minutes before serving.  Best when served warm.
Blogging tips