Sunday, November 14, 2010

Southwestern Chicken Egg Roll

This egg roll reminds of Chili's egg rolls, which I love. So when I found it on my sister-in-laws blog I knew we needed to try it. It turned out fantastic and my husband couldn't say enough good things about it. I was wondering if my kids would like it, because frankly a lot of the new recipes I try on them (especially main dishes) they do not like. But I was very surprised. My 10 year old loved it almost as much as his dad. This is a keeper and will be added to our usual dinner list.

2 - 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or cubed
sliced green onions, to taste
1 diced red bell pepper
1 T. olive oil
1 c. frozen corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. salt
dash of cayenne pepper
1 c. shredded monterey jack cheese
uncooked flour tortillas (I know Costco carries these)
salsa
Avocado Ranch Dip:
8 oz. sour cream
1 avocados
1/2 pck. dry ranch dressing mix
1 t. lemon juice

1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet with onions and peppers, cook for 2 minutes. Add corn, beans, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook for about 5 more minutes, remove from heat, and stir in the cheese.

2. Spoon the mixture into uncooked tortillas, tuck the sides in, and roll them up tightly.

3. Cook them in about half an inch of olive oil heated in a skillet on medium high. It takes less then a minute for them to brown on one side, so watch them carefully. After cooking, transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels. These keep their heat well.

4. Serve with salsa and/or avocado ranch dip. To make the dip, combine sour cream, avocado, dry ranch dressing and lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir well and serve.

Blogging tips