Friday, December 3, 2010

Homemade Tomato Soup


This is what it looks like outside my house?  We are having unprecedented snowstorms and whenever it snows, I feel like this...
I love soup in the winter!!  One of our favorites is tomato.  I decided that since I had some tomatoes left from my garden--amazing huh, I laid them out in my garage and they have done wonderfully--I would make some homemade tomato soup.  This turned out amazing.  It has a great flavor, better than anything you could get from a can, I promise, and no perservatives or artificial ingredients--hence the homemade I guess :)!  It is very easy to make and if you add some cheese soup or Focaicca bread (I will be posting my favorite one soon), it is a perfect dinner for a snowy winter night.

2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes (I used fresh)
2 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled
1 T. honey
1 t. salt
1 bay leaf
1/4 t. dried basil
1/4 t. black pepper
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
4 c. milk

1.  Blend tomatoes until smooth (if you don't want the seeds or skin you can run them through a food mill).  Place in large pot over medium heat.  Stir in bouillon, honey, salt, bay leaf, basil and pepper.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.  Remove bay leaf.  

2.  In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Whisk in flour all at once to form a roux, cook one minute.  Whisk in milk, a small amount at a time, cooking and stirring constantly until thickened.  Stir into tomato mixture and heat through.  Enjoy!
Blogging tips