Monday, January 17, 2011

Herbed Spaghetti Squash

Honestly I dislike squash--you know like the butternut kind (nothing against the butternut).
I don't hate it but...it has a weird texture and it's just not my favorite vegetable.
My kids totally H.A.T.E. it though, I don't know if those big letters even cover their feelings for this particular vegetable.
Maybe it's because I make them try it (and swallow it, my 6 year old thinks she can just stick it in her mouth and that should work--not at this house).

Well with that introduction maybe you don't want to try this now, but as much as I dislike squash, I really liked this spaghetti squash.
I have never had it before, never even cooked it before, but this little beauty came in my Bountiful Basket and I didn't want to waste it so after I perused some recipe sites I settled on this variation.
I was so pleasantly surprised.  The texture is completely different than any other squash I have had and it really looks like spaghetti noodles, hence the name, he he he!
I encourage you to branch out and try it.  You might like it and if you don't I'm sorry but I totally understand.

Small spaghetti squash, about 2 1/4 pounds
2 1/2 T. buter
2 1/2 T. finely chopped mixed soft herbs, such as basil, chives, parsley and sage (I used a little bit of everything)
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. freshly ground black pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees .  Using a sharp knife (I didn't know squash could be so tough--I had to have my husband help with little bit), cut the squash in half lengthwise.  Using a spoon, remove the seeds and discard.  Place, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add enough water to come 1/2-inch up the sides of the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes, until the squash is easily pierced with a paring knife. Turn squash over and cover with foil again and continue to cook another 15 minutes, until the squash is very tender. 

2.  Remove from the oven, uncover, and allow to cool slightly. Using a fork, gently pull the strands of squash away from the peel and place the squash strands into a mixing bowl.

3.  Heat a skillet. Add the butter, spaghetti squash, herbs, salt and pepper and toss thoroughly but gently to heat and combine. Serve immediately or cover and keep warm until ready to serve.

Note:  The next day I served this reheated with some spaghetti sauce spooned over the top and parmesan cheese and it was so delicious, I can't believe I just said that about squash, but it's true.  It was really good.

Source:  Emeril Lagasse

Blogging tips