Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pineapple Salsa Chicken

Whewww!!
We are 5 days out from surgery and doing awesome!  He can eat fairly normal food now, with minimal pain killers and minimal grouchiness.  Yeah...we are celebrating the small moments!!
Since he (the crazy, lovable 3 year old) takes a lot of my time lately I threw this in the crockpot one day and it turned out fabulous.  I ran across this recipe one day while surfing recipe blogs and it just called out, 
"make me for dinner"..
so I did and we loved it.  We made it as tacos and it was yummilicious.  It would also be great with rice, my kids had it that way and they said it was "good"--which in kid language means a winner!

6 fresh or frozen chicken breasts
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can white beans, like Great Northern, rinsed and drained
2 cups mild or medium salsa

Tortillas and garnishes, like sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, avocados, etc.

1.  Place the chicken in the crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Using tongs, remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred into bite-size pieces. Mix the chicken back in with the rest of the ingredients. The mixture will be fairly soupy – I like to drain off some of the excess liquid before serving, especially if we are eating it in tortillas, so it doesn’t make everything soggy. Serve with tortillas and tomatoes, cheese, avocado, sour cream, and lettuce.  Enjoy!

*Freezable Option: This recipe makes A LOT of chicken.  I freeze the leftovers in freezer-safe ziploc bags and either place the frozen portion in my crockpot for a few hours the day I want to serve it or thaw the night before in the refrigerator and reheat on low in a saucepan.

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Sharing this with: Blue Cricket Design, Turning the Clock Back, Paisley Passions, Fireflies and Jellybeans.
Blogging tips