Friday, February 11, 2011

Cheesy Garlic Rolls

10 days to cruisedom!!!  (I know that's not a word but it sounds cool anyway)

I am in the midst of writing list after list for my mom (just in case something weird happens), tying up weird loose ends like paying lunch money and bills, making lots of yummy recipes so I can keep you all interested while I am gone, and trying not to freak out that I will be gone for a week from my kiddos!

I don't know why I even worry.  I know my kids are going to have an awesome time with Grandma (and if I have to be totally honest they probably aren't even going to miss us--I mean who wants their parents back when Grandma spoils you rotten--you know it's true Mom but I am so happy you are coming to watch them)!!

Anyway this is one of the recipes I made.  Yummy!!  I mean, can you ever have too many kinds of bread?

Not at this house!  I really try to stay away from too many carbs but how can I resist this kind of recipe.  Cheesy, gooey, buttery homemade rolls.

I think they would be perfect with anything!  I used fresh mozzarella and the cheese came out so stringy and delicious, we loved it.

Dough:
1 T. yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 1/2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
4-5 1/2 c. flour
3 T. vegetable oil
1 egg yolk

Garlic Butter:
1/2 c. real butter
1 1/2 T. garlic bread seasoning

Shredded mozzarella cheese

1.  Combine yeast, water, and sugar in large mixing bowl and allow to stand until bubbly. Add salt, vegetable oil, and egg yolk and combine. Add 3 c. flour and mix well until combined. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that barely sticks to your finger or sides of you mixing bowl. Knead, either by hand or in mixer for another 2-3 minutes. Cover and allow to rise 1 hour.

2.  While dough is rising, combine butter and garlic bread seasoning. Set aside.

3.  Roll your dough into a rectangle that's about 18-20 inches by 6 inches. I spray my counter or mat with non-stick cooking spray instead of flour because it keeps the dough very supple and soft.  Adding too much flour will make your dough tough.  Smear garlic butter over the entire surface of the dough and then sprinkle with cheese.

4.  Starting at the short side, roll dough up jelly roll style (like you do for cinnamon rolls).  Cut each slice into equal size pieces using thread or dental floss.  Place each slice in a greased muffin tin.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and let muffins rise for 20 minutes while your oven is preheating.  

5.  Bake for 18-22 minutes.  If your rolls are getting too brown on top you can cover them with a sheet of tin foil during the last few minutes of baking so the cheese doesn't get burned.  Mine didn't seem to have a problem with this but keep an eye on them.  Remove and eat while warm.  They are so tasty, enjoy!

Source: Best Bites

Blogging tips