Monday, March 7, 2011

Chocolate "Thin Mint" Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Frosting

I have dedicated this week to Girl Scout Cookie Recipes.  

Why you ask?

Because I can't help but eat them so I figure if I am eating them so should you!

Sorry but every where I go see them.  I think they are following me.  They know I will buy them and then I will eat them.  Which then makes me feel guilty because I ate a whole box of Samoas in two days so then I am off to the gym to try to keep them from sticking to my hips (and every other place on my body)!

Why do they have to be so good?  Why do they have to tempt me by coming to my house, to my kids school, to my grocery store, heck they were even at my bank (I told you they are following me!).  And when I see them everywhere I can't help but start dreaming about what I can do with all those little beauties--besides eating them of course, and then I get in even more trouble (it's true just wait for the other recipes this week).

So in honor of not eating the whole Thin Mint box, I thought I would share these with my husband's co-workers.  Especially because his turn for desserts was 2 weeks ago and I have been putting it off, sorry Wade!

These turned out fabulous.  The cookie at the bottom makes a perfect crust not to mention the chocolate mint frosting is pure heaven!  If you aren't up for making the cupcake part, feel free to use a box.  I'm sure it would work great.

Cupcakes:
½ c. Dutch-process cocoa powder
½ c. hot water
2 c. all-purpose flour
¾ t. baking soda
¾ t. baking powder
¾ t. coarse salt
1 c. butter, softened
1½ c. sugar
2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1¾ t. vanilla extract
2/3 c. sour cream, at room temperature
1 box Thin Mints
Frosting:
Mint Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
6 T. butter, softened
1/2 c. cocoa, for medium flavor
1/3 c. milk
2 1/2-3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 t. mint extract (or as little or as much as you like)

1.  To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line standard cupcake pans with paper liners.  Place one Thin Mint cookie in the bottom of each liner.  In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and hot water until smooth.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

2.  In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and the sugar over medium heat.  Heat, stirring occasionally to combine, until the butter is melted.  Remove the mixture from the heat and transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Beat on medium-low speed, 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is cooled.  Mix in the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed and beating well after each addition.  Mix in the vanilla and then the cocoa mixture and beat until incorporated.  With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, beating just until combined.

3.  Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling them about ¾ of the way full.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, rotating the pans halfway through baking.  Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4.  To make frosting, combine butter, cocoa, milk, powdered sugar, and mint extract. Mix with electric mixer until smooth.  Frost with lots of frosting.  These ones were for my kids so they didn't get much frosting but the co-workers got a nice helping which is so delicious and so yummy.  Enjoy!


Check out these other Thin Mint Cupcakes: Sourkraut Krafts, Inside BruCrew Life.
Blogging tips