Monday, April 11, 2011

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes

Random fact about me:  I have a really good memory (at least use to).  Not to brag but it's true.  It's one thing I am sort of prideful about.

Growing up the game I always wanted to play was memory.  My poor mother would play for hours with me and to be perfectly honest I still love to play that game.  Any time I suggest it my whole family groans.  I sort of beat them mercilessly every time we play so they don't like to play with me anymore.  I can't help it, I just remember where the cards are.

I can remember directions anywhere as long as I have been there once.
I can remember phone numbers and don't ever use my contact list.
I have many recipes stored in my head.
I can remember exact places in books where quotes or information is located.
I can remember pretty much everything (much to my husband's dismay).

But lately my memory has been terrible!!

It totally bothers me and maybe it's 4 kids and getting older, but I sure hate it.

I have to put everything on my calendar, and I mean everything.  If I don't do that I promise you I will not be there.  I forget appointments ( I don't think the dr. believes me anymore), lunch dates (sorry ladies I promise I completely forgot), parties (sorry Jessica), and pretty much everything.  The worst one was, I called and asked a friend if I could bring her dinner since she just had a baby.  (Notice I called and asked...) I even wrote it on my calendar.  Well the day came and went and I didn't even notice.  THREE days later I remembered.  I called and apologized profusely and offered to bring dinner the next night.  Guess what?  I forgot again.  Wow!  After apologizing again I told her I better just bring a present and see the baby.  What a friend!

Do you ever do that?  Maybe it's just me but to all of you who know that I have forgotten something maybe you should remind me because I can promise you that I have forgotten it!

Anyways...on to this delightful cupcake.  I love Boston Cream Pie so when I found this I knew it would be awesome.  Plus much easier.  It was very yummy and so pretty.  It has you make a homemade pudding which turned out very delicious and very easy to make.

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes


Cupcakes:
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. each baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 c. sugar
3 large eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. buttermilk
Filling:
3 T. dry milk powder
1/4 c. sugar
pinch salt
3 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. milk
1 T. vanilla
Chocolate Ganache:
1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. cream

1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees and place paper liners in muffin tins.  In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until blended.

2.  Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Beat in vanilla extract.  With mixer on low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until just blended.

3.  Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.

4.  To make filling, whisk together dry filling ingredients and milk in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Scrape into a bowl; cover surface directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.

5.  To make ganache, place chocolate and cream in microwave proof bowl and and microwave for 2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds.  Remove and whisk until smooth.  Cool slightly.

6.  To fill: Cut a cone shape out of the middle of each cupcake, cutting off the bottom of each cone but saving the top.  Put about a tablespoon of filling in cupcake and replace with top.  

7.  To Glaze: Add about a tablespoon or so of ganache to the top of the cupcake. Allow it to spread, add more or help it along by spreading the ganache across the top a bit.  Enjoy!

Source:  Amanda's Cookin


Sharing this with: All these lovely blogs
Blogging tips