Friday, April 29, 2011

Lemon Curd Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

Oh my!

Oh my, oh my, oh my....
I am at a loss for words.

Sometimes food does that to me.  Is that weird?  Because every once in a while I come across something that makes me stop and re-evaluate my life.

This was one of those recipes.  I am sorry if you are not a lemon lover because you have just truly missed something amazing.  

I have a new favorite.  Move on over hubby (even thought these are his new favorite too) because these little beauties have taken up a spot of my heart.  I kid you not.

As soon as I made them (and tasted one) I knew that I had just filled in a piece of my life.  And if you ever ask me what you should make, I promise I will suggest this.  It needs to be on your "bucket list"--it's that awesome!

Not to mention that if I was in charge of the Royal Wedding (which I would never be but it's fun to dream) this is what I would serve.  I think William and Kate would love these!

Lemon Curd Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting


Lemon Curd:
2 lemons
4 egg yolks
3/4 c. sugar
4 T. butter, cold

1.  This can be made the day before you need it, which I would recommend. Zest the lemons.  Juice the lemons.  In a medium saucepan mix together the egg yolks and sugar until smooth.  Stir in lemon juice and zest.  Place over medium heat, bring to a simmer.  Continue cooking, stirring constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.  Stir in the butter 1 T. at a time.  Cover lemon curd with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled and thickened.


Cupcakes:
3 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
1 t. lemon extract
zest of two lemons

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl, set aside.  In large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.  Add egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each one.  Alternately add in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour.  Stir in vanilla, lemon, and lemon zest.

2.  In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.  Add egg whites into batter, folding gently.
Place into cupcake liners.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool.  Use half of lemon curd recipe to fill the cupcakes either with a squeeze bottle or by cutting a small hole in the middle of the cupcake and filling with lemon curd.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
1 c. sugar
1/8 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
Half of the above lemon curd recipe above

1.  In a small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff.  In another bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla.  Add in lemon curd.  Beat until smooth.  Fold in whipped cream.  Frost cupcakes generously and serve.  Keep uneaten cupcakes in the fridge.  Enjoy!


Blogging tips