Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Pineapple Chipotle Honey Glazed Ham

Easter...ahhh yummy food.

When Easter rolls around I know I have two things to do:
One, have another excuse to make some delicious food and two, work in my yard.

As I have mentioned before I love to work in my yard and garden but (and that's quite a big but, no pun intended he, he, he) I have to get over the hurdle of getting out there.

I mean come on it's Idaho.  The weather is still very cold and the wind blows like the dickens (by the way any idea on how that phrase came about?  just wondering).  Which all leads me to not going outside unless I absolutely have to.  No reason to freeze my ears off if I don't have to.

I continue to look out my window in my nice warm house watching the dandelions creep ever bigger (who are my nemesis) and the grass grow ever taller.

I know I should be out there, for heavens sake, I really want to be out there but all of it signifies 6 months of weed pulling, lawn watering, grass mowing, vegetable harvesting, and flower fertilizing.

As much as I want to be out there I haven't brought myself to do it.  Even being the last one of the street to not mow their lawn hasn't gotten my out there yet.  Maybe tomorrow...or maybe not, but in the meantime at least I am fulfilling one of my things to do.

I know ham is so cliche for this time of year but this glaze is so perfect.  Lightly sweet but with a touch of smoky flavor.  The chipotles give it the nice smoky, spicy flavor that complements the sweetness perfectly.  I was a little worried about my children liking it but it's not spicy at all just absolutely delicious.  So try something different with your ham this year. 

Pineapple Chipotle Honey Glazed Ham


1 (20 oz) can pineapple with 1/2 the juice drained out
2 Chipotle peppers, with seeds
1 c. honey
1 t. fresh grated ginger
salt and pepper, to taste

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Put all ingredients in your food processor until pureed and smooth.

2.  Place your ham fat side up in a roasting pan.  Pour 1 c. water in bottom of pan and drizzle 1/2 c. pineapple glaze over ham.  Cover tightly with foil and bake according to directions on package (mine was 20 minutes for every pound).  Save the rest of the glaze for later.

3.  When ham has one hour left of cooking time, put the leftover glaze in a saucepan and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat, let simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Remove ham from oven and drizzle the rest of the glaze over entire ham.  Return to oven, uncovered, and let finish cooking.  Remove from oven, slice and serve warm.  Enjoy!



Blogging tips