Monday, May 9, 2011

Homemade Sparkling Orange Jello

How was your Mother's Day?

Mine was fabulous.  I got an early Mother's Day Gift  which I am still learning how to use--I think I need a class, so much to figure out! So yesterday was spent in relaxation.

My husband thinks I'm funny because that was my answer to his question of, "What do you want for Mother's Day?"  Relaxation!

After reminding him of my early present, I told him the best gift I could get would be to not have to make dinner, clean it up, gets drinks for thirsty kids, pick up after said kids, entertain, wipe noses, and that if I could sit on the couch with a book and a Diet Coke I would be the happiest Mom alive.

Are you the same way?  

I love it when I get alone time plus it makes me a way better mom because I am so happy to see them when I am done relaxing.  I remember my own mom coming back so happy after she had an afternoon off, or a night out, and I always wondered why as a kid.  Now I know!

So that's what I got, a very relaxing day with a very yummy dinner and a delicious dessert.  They were new recipes for my hubby and he did a fantastic job making them.  I will share soon, I promise.  They were phenomenal.

So to all you mothers, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, and wives--you are amazing.  I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday and I am so glad that I get to be one of you.  Women are awesome.

On to the recipe: a delightful, homemade jello.  I never knew there was such a thing, I just always bought a box of whatever flavor a recipe called for.  This version has a little zing to it and I loved it.  Plus all the fresh fruit just yells "spring" to me.

Homemade Sparkling Orange Jello


2 envelopes unflavored gelatin, 1/8 c.
1/4 c. cold water
1 1/2 c. plus 1/2 c. orange juice
1/3 c. sugar
2 c. ginger ale
15 oz. mandarin oranges, drained
8-10 fresh strawberries, sliced
1 c. fresh raspberries

1.  Place the cold water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let it soften (will be very thick) for five minutes then heat it gently on low heat, stirring slowly, until the gelatin dissolves. Add the 1/2 cup orange juice and the sugar. Warm gently until the sugar dissolves, stirring. Do not overheat.

2.  In a large bowl, place the remaining 1 1/2 cups orange juice and ginger ale and whisk in the gelatin mixture.  Pour the mixture into a 9x13 serving dish. Gently stir in the fruit. Refrigerate the mixture until set, about 4-6 hours. Cut into squares and serve as a side dish or simple dessert.  Enjoy!
Blogging tips