Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Teacher Appreciation--Cupcake Jar

It's teacher appreciation week. Yeah for teachers!

So far all of my children's teachers have been wonderful.  We have been so blessed that every year they have an amazing lady (I know some guys are teachers but so far my kids have only had the ladies) that gives lots of her time and knowledge to my kids.

Do you have a teacher that totally inspired you?

I do.  I have two.  Mr. Sasaki and Mrs. Harris.

I still have very fond memories of them.

Mr. Sasaki was my 6th grade teacher.  He loved me.  He loved all of us.  I think it's amazing that someone can make each person that crosses their path feel so special and that you could accomplish whatever you wanted because they made you feel that awesome.  That's how he made all of us feel.  Amazing!

Mrs. Harris was my math teacher in high school.  I wasn't very fond of math back then.  But to this day I don't mind it all, you could even say I like it.  And you know why?  Because Mrs. Harris liked it and she instilled that love into each of us that came through her door every day.

So in honor of wonderful teachers, I wanted to give my kid's teachers something super cute and out of the ordinary.  And after all I am known at the school as the "baker" so naturally I had to make a food item.

This was very easy and my kids loved helping me put them together.  So don't forget your special teacher this week and share some of this yummy cupcake goodness!

Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream


Cupcakes:
Spice Cake mix

1.  Follow directions on the box for making cupcakes. You can either spray your pans and bake with out liners, or remove liners later, either way works great.

Cinnamon Butter Cream:

1 c. butter, softened
2 T. whipping cream
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon
4 c. powdered sugar
2 T. light corn syrup

1.  In a large bowl, beat butter, milk, and vanilla on medium low until smooth and combined, about 1-2 min, scrapping down sides of bowl.  Add cinnamon, then slowly add powdered sugar one cup at a time on low until combined, scrape sides of bowl again.  Increase speed to medium, and beat for 1 more minute.  Add corn syrup and beat on med high for 30 seconds, then increase speed to medium high and beat for about 1 minute.  

To assemble Cupcake Jar you need:

1 pint jar
3 Spice cupcakes (if they are small, I used 2 large)
Cinnamon Buttercream
16" disposable icing bag and large french tip
7/8" grosgrain ribbon
curly ribbon (or anything to tie the fork on, I used raffia)
plastic fork
4.5" square of fabric
hot glue
foam adhesive dots
Printables (there are lots of free ones on the internet)

1.  Start by dropping one cupcake inside the jar, then using your icing bag and tip, squeeze buttercream on top of cupcake, repeat until you have 3 layers (or 2 in my case). 

2.  Add the fabric to the lid, wrap grosgrain ribbon around jar and glue with hot glue. Punch out Thank You Tag, and attach to ribbon with foam adhesive dots.  Tie fork on with curly ribbon or raffia.  Enjoy!

Note:  This would work great for any type "Thank You", "Welcome"or "Good Luck" gift.



Blogging tips