Monday, August 22, 2011

Macadamia Crusted Chicken with Mango Salsa

Our fruit of choice this year has been the mango.  

 I am on a mango kick and am loving how it tastes in so many recipes.  

The best part is that I am converting my children.  I don't remember eating this particular fruit at all as a child.  I wasn't introduced to it until my brother who served a mission in the Philippines came back loving it.  I wondered what all the hype was about and finally tried one. 

 And I hated it.  

Yep, it's true.  I finally tried it again this summer and my taste buds have taken a complete 180.  I am loving it.  Every time we get one, I am constantly searching my favorite recipe sites until I find something to make with it.  

We have met with some delicious winners this year and this is another one to add to the list.  My son was in heaven and couldn't get enough of it.  The mango salsa is a perfect complement to the chicken.  It makes it absolutely delicious.

Macadamia Crusted Chicken with Mango Salsa


Chicken:
12 chicken tenderloins, larger ones cut in half (chicken breasts cut into thin slices would work great, too)
1 c. flour, seasoned generously with salt and pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz. macadamia nuts, finely chopped
2 c. breadcrumbs
oil, for deep-frying
Salt for seasoning

Mango Salsa:
1 medium mango, finely diced
3 Tbsp. finely diced red onion
2 Tbsp. roughly chopped cilantro
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
Juice from 1 lime

1.  Cut the chicken into strips, Dust the chicken strips with the flour, then dip them in the egg and, finally, coat them generously in the combined nuts and breadcrumbs. Chill for at least 30 minutes to firm up, if you are frying them.  You can also bake them at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes (completely depends on the size of your strips, smaller ones, cook a shorter about of time).  Skip the 30 minutes if you are baking them.  Both ways are very delicious.

2.  To make the salsa, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.

3.  Fill a large, heavy-based saucepan (I used my electric frypan) one-third full of oil and heat to 350 degrees, or until a cube of bread dropped in the oil browns in 15 seconds. Cook the chicken strips in batches for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown all over, taking care not to burn the nuts. Drain on crumpled paper towels (brilliant!). Serve the chicken strips warm with the salsa.  Enjoy!


Blogging tips