Friday, October 14, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Popcorn

 There are a few kinds of food that I just can't have around my house.

And if I do there better be a lot of people around so I feel the social pressure of not eating so much.

I'm serious!  

I just know that I can't bring in or make certain things or the result will be 5 lbs on each hip, a crazy wicked stomachache, and several extra hours at the gym.

Do any of you have foods like that?

One of mine is muddy buddies (ie: puppy chow).  I swear it's the peanut butter chocolate combination that calls out to me and won't leave me be.  If this is ever in my house I am in so much trouble.  I just know I don't possess the self control to stay away (same thing with peanut butter m&ms.  I just can't even buy them).

Well then I thought what if you put it on popcorn (mostly because we were out of chex mix and the kids wanted something sweet)?  Would I love it as much as the chex version?  Would I have the same problem with it?

Well the answer is no and no.  I love the chex version a lot more--I think because of the slight crunch and I am definitely a crunchy food kind of person--and because of that I was able to have a little bit and leave it alone.

Now don't get me wrong--this stuff was still really good and everyone ate the entire bowl in about 5 minutes.  It just is different than the other version but still so tasty.  Good thing for me that I can stay away from it, now maybe I won't have to go to the gym twice today!


Peanut Butter Chocolate Popcorn


9 c. plain popped popcorn
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar

1. Put the popcorn in a very large bowl.  In a microwave (in 30-second increments) or over a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter until melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla.

2.  . Pour the chocolate mixture all over the popcorn. Using a large spoon, stir until all of the popcorn is evenly coated with the chocolate/peanut butter mixture.

3. Sift the powdered sugar over the chocolate-covered popcorn and stir until each piece is evenly coated. Spread the mixture out onto a baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until the chocolate is set.   Break it up and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container.  Enjoy!

Blogging tips