Monday, November 14, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate

A random fact about me:  I am usually always cold.

It's true, I can remember as a little kid being cold a lot (the dr. always thought I was anemic but nope that wasn't it, it was thyroid) and it just hasn't gone away.  Even as I sit here writing this I am wearing pants, socks, slippers, a long sleeve shirt, a short sleeve over the top of that, and a jacket--and my house is set at 72°.  

I don't like to be cold and try to avoid it at all costs (but dang it sometimes you just have to leave your house!!).  Like I dislike greatly (we are trying to teach our kids not to use the word 'hate') going to the indoor swimming pool in the winter.  It is so stinking cold getting out from the pool and walking to the locker room--it gives me the shivers just thinking about it right now.  I also dislike greatly sledding or skiing or any winter sports.  Not because I don't like them but from the fact that I am outside getting cold and it seems like no matter how many socks I put on, what gloves or coats I buy, or how many layers I put on--I get cold!

Anyway...I think because I am cold so much, I LOVE hot drinks (except coffee--we don't drink that our house).  One of our favorite breakfasts is hot chocolate and toast.  Not very healthy but man is it tasty especially as snow is falling, the fire is burning (in the fireplace), and I don't have to leave my house.

When I came across this lovely lady I knew I would be in heaven--pumpkin and it's served hot.  Perfect!  It's even better with a whole bunch of whip cream, mmm....mmm...good.  So go make yourself some and curl up in favorite armchair and try to stay warm.

Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate


1 1/2 c. whole milk
1/2 c. canned pumpkin pie filling (different from pumpkin puree--if you want it healthier you can add regular pumpkin but I liked this sweeter version better)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
1/2 tsp. vanilla
pinch sea salt
2 ounces white chocolate (roughly chopped)
Whipped cream

1.  In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine milk, pumpkin and spices. Cook stirring constantly until just simmering.

2.  Remove from heat and add chocolate, reserving some for garnish if you would like.  Just before serving, top each mug with a generous mound of whipped cream, a few shavings of white chocolate, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Serve immediately and enjoy!

Source:  slightly adapted from Tidy Mom

27 comments:

Slice of Southern said...

I'm drooling...sounds sinful!

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

This sounds dangerously delicious!!

Carrie said...

I've been here a couple times this past week, and everything you make loos so delectable! I would really like it if you would link this post to Spa{ahhh} Sundaze (http://www.projectpossessed.com/spaahhh-sundaze-1113-healthy-eating-habits-questionnaire/)

Your newest GFC groupie!

Shannon said...

This looks so good! Do you know how many servings does this recipe make?

Thanks!

Shannon @ Imperfectly-Inspired

Hannah said...

OMG, this looks and sounds so delicious! I am so going to have make this!

The Farm Girl said...

Shannon, it makes enough for 4 mugs :)

Amber *SaltTree* said...

Oh my... this looks divine! I think I'll have to make this for my holiday get together! Pinning this ;)

Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable said...

Yeah! Like this one:) I'd love it if you could share this too!
-Andrea
http://www.frugallysustainable.com

Rachel W K said...

this has my name written all over it, I can't wait to try it! thanks for the easy recipe... I'm a new follower of your blog :) so excited

EvA. . . said...

this sounds amazing! Love it and came wait to try it! thanks for sharing:)

Tera said...

Sounds really yummy and cozy, but i'm confused... the only chocolate in it is white chocolate? No brown?
thanks!

Tami said...

What a wonderful combination of flavors. I love all things pumpkin.

Myric said...

This sounds really yummy! I can't wait to try it!

xo
Myric

Karyn said...

Yum! Thanks for linking up to Things that make you say mmmmm!

Ela @ Scrapidoodlelicious@blogspot.com said...

Looks yummy! I will try it.

I am a new follower. Hope you come and visit my blog or follow along too.

Amy @ A Little Nosh said...

I'm always cold too, and this sounds wonderful and decadent. Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

The perfect drink for a cold night. Or anytime! I'm like you - I'm always cold and can never feel my fingers. A nice warm mug of this would be perfect. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

blkenigma888 said...

What a nice way to warm up on these winter nights!
Come to A Themed Baker's Sunday where this week's theme is Thanksgiving treats. Be sure to vote on the side bar for next week's theme as well! Happy Holidays!

Cupcake Apothecary

http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/11/themed-bakers-sunday-14.html

Emily said...

HI! thanks for linking up to last weeks tasty tuesday party at nap-time creations. Just wanted to let you know I am featuring this recipe at this weeks party. Please stop by and grab a featured button! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

Hi,
I wanted to let you know that I posted about your pumpkin hot chocolate in my Learning From Others post this week. I also used your picture in the post. Please let me know if it's a problem and I'll remove it.



Julie

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Great way to warm up, and I featured it in today's dessert recipe linky party. Have a great week and Thanksgiving, Julie.

Candy said...

This looks wonderful! Beautiful photos!

Heather said...

I am a pumpkin junkie and this looks awesome! http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com

Kristin said...

This looks so good! We just got a Keurig Coffeemaker so I'm all about trying new hot drinks to try. I wish I were someone who either LOVED coffee or GREATLY DISLIKED it. However, I'm right in the middle. I like my coffee sweet and doctored-up. Oh, and I tend to drink it at night, not in the morning.
Read my "About Me" if you want my thoughts about being cold :)

Marie said...

I'm always cold to! Thanks for linking up with us and hope you join us again this Wednesday! Happy Thanksgiving!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Marisa and Brittany said...

Just linked to your sight on http://meyouandcreamedcorn and I am your newest follower :) Would love to have you join us as well.

Your Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate looks delicious!!

Marisa

Freelance SEO said...

Yum Chocolates

Post a Comment

Blogging tips