I LOVE weekends.
I love the slow pace, sleeping in, leisurely days that they bring.
Especially in the winter. It's cold outside so we hunker down in the house and enjoy doing nothing.
My weeks are filled with doing everything so it is so nice to do nothing sometimes.
Which is quite misleading because if you are doing nothing then you are still doing something right? So I guess technically I am not doing nothing. I am reading the newspaper, I am sitting in front of the fire place enjoying the heat, I am playing games with my kids or taking a long shower. But hey, it's different than the usual routine for the week so I love it!
And....speaking of doing nothing, I think I should get off the computer and start doing nothing again. Enjoy this delicious trifle. There is just a hint of peppermint which is a perfect combination with a delicious white chocolate mousse and some yummy brownies.
Brownie Peppermint Trifle
1 box brownie mix (and ingredients to go with it)
16 oz Cool Whip
1 bag Andes peppermint chips or 1 c. crushed peppermint candies
White Chocolate Mousse:
1 c. whole milk
1/3 c. sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp peppermint extract, divided
1 Tbsp butter
3 oz. white chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp gelatin
1 Tbsp cold water
1 c. whipping cream
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1. To make white chocolate mousse combine milk, cornstarch, sugar and egg yolk into a medium sauce pan. Whisk together well. Over medium heat, cook until it thickens and comes to a simmer. Whisk constantly. It will take about 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and add in vanilla, 1/8 tsp peppermint, butter and white chocolate. Mix until everything is melted. Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours.
3. In a small cup or bowl combine the gelatin with the water. Let it stand for about 10 minutes. Then pop into the microwave for about 10 seconds to melt the gelatin. Cool to room temperature. Then combine cream, powdered sugar, and remaining 1/8 tsp peppermint extract. Whip until thick. Add in gelatin and mix until medium peaks are formed. Fold the whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture in 3 parts. Cover and chill for at least an hour.
4. Make brownies according to package directions baking in a 9x13 pan. Cool completely. Cut in 1"x1" squares.
5. To put the trifle together, layer brownies, 1/3 of peppermint chips or candies, 1/3 of white chocolate mousse, and 1/3 of the cool whip, in that order. Repeat layers two more times and top with crushed peppermint candies. Refrigerate one hour before serving and enjoy!