I don't know about you and your family but I worry about giving my kids too much sugar, which doesn't mean I am opposed to it but I don't think they need gobs of candy bars, pop, and desserts all the time.
It might seem like we are always eating desserts over here because I post a lot of those kinds of recipes but we try to share them with lots of people so we are not eating the whole thing. Anyway...back to this healthy cake.
We do try to eat fairly healthy over here. We hardly ever eat fast food, I make whole wheat bread for us, I add wheat flour to many food items, I put flax seeds in almost everything I make, and make pretty much everything from scratch. My motto is "Moderation in All Things".
Many times I hesitate to make desserts healthy because I am scarred about substituting "healthy" things in them and wasting all those ingredients. So when Kate from Modern Alternative Mama contacted me about her e-book "Treat Yourself" I was very excited to check out some of her recipes. They are all healthy recipes but in treat form, perfect for this family.
The first one I tried was this Chocolate Cake. I was so pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. The texture is a little different but my kids gobbled it right up and didn't even notice that is was suppose to be "healthy". I love that it tastes like a chocolate cake, a real delicious, sweet chocolate cake. I am all about the chocolate and let's face it peeps, if I am going to eat something it better taste good even if it is suppose to be good for me!
Kate has agreed to give away one free e-book to one of my readers and here's how you can enter:
(and please leave separate comments for each item that you did)
1. Check out the table of contents and tell me which recipe you would try first.
2. Like me on Facebook (or let me know that you already do).
3. Like Modern Alternative Mama on Facebook.
Giveaway ends Dec. 19th at midnight!
And here's the recipe for this fabulous healthy cake.
2 cup sprouted flour (this is a great tutorial on making your own sprouted flour)
1⁄2 cup cacao powder
1 1⁄4 tsp baking soda
1⁄2 tsp sea salt
1⁄2 cup butter, melted
1⁄4 cup + 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1⁄4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
3⁄4 cup buttermilk
2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl combine flour, cacao powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
2. In another medium bowl mix melted butter, maple syrup, honey, eggs, and vanilla, Whisk until completely combined. Slowly add flour mixture with buttermilk and fold together until just barely wet.
3. Grease and dust 8" round pans with cacao powder. Divide cake mixture evenly between pans and smooth the tops. Bake for 18-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before inverting on cooling rack and letting cool completely.
4. To make whipping cream combine cream, maple syrup, and vanilla in large bowl until soft peaks form. To assemble the cake place one round on serving platter and top with half the whip cream. Place second round on top of whip cream and add rest of whip cream. Chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!