Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cauliflower Cheddar Soup


Pin It

 I love it when I can sneak things into my children's food (okay and my husband's for that matter) and they even know it.  It totally makes my day, especially when it is something as healthy as cauliflower.

Cauliflower is one of those weird vegetables to me.  As a kid I absolutely hated it cooked and if it had enough ranch on it I would eat it raw.  The problem was that it just didn't and still doesn't have that much flavor to it.

Which, I have to say, makes it's perfect for things like this.  Now that I am grown I have come to appreciate cauliflower.  I love it roasted (and have found an amazing way to eat it--soon to come) and it passes off as a great substitute for potatoes, which is just fabulous to me.

This soup was a hit at our house.  Now if the kiddos would of known it was cauliflower, I would of had a major revolt on my hands, but alas I changed the name for them and everything went so smoothly.  We loved the flavor and I loved having something a little different than our normal rotation of soups in the winter.  


Cauliflower Cheddar Soup

(click here for printable version)


1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
salt
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
pepper
3 tbsp flour
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup whole milk or half-and-half
2 1/2 cups good quality, aged, sharp cheddar cheese, grated (it's totally worth it)

1.  Bring a couple of inches of water to a boil, add cauliflower, salt and cook until tender. Drain the water off and puree.  The food processor works great.  Set aside.

2.  Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter and melt.  Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.

3.  Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook for about 1 minute more. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and milk.  As soon as it starts to bubble, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.

4.  Whisk the cheese into the liquid, stirring until all the cheese has melted.  Stir in cauliflower puree, adding salt and pepper to taste.  Serve and enjoy!

Source: Just Cook Already
Blogging tips