Friday, April 13, 2012

Better Than Sex Chex Mix

 I love all sorts of Chex mixes.  I love that they are sweet but crunchy or salty but crunchy or a little spicy but crunchy.  

So when I saw this deliciousness I knew it had to go on my list, especially with that title.

The funny thing is that my kids asked me what it was called and so to them it's "Better Than Anything Chex Mix".  I just wasn't ready to have that discussion with them at the party we took this to.

Anyway...this chex mix is some of the best that I  have had.  It ALMOSTS beats out muddy buddies, almost!  But how could you go wrong with reese's peanut butter cups, chocolate, white chocolate, marshmallows (don't be tempted to leave those out--I am not a fan of marshmallows and they were awesome in this), caramel, and more caramel.  This was amazing, but just make sure you have some place to take it because you just might eat the whole bowl!

Better Than Sex Chex Mix

(click here for printable version)


8 cups Rice Chex cereal (you can also use the chocolate variety)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tbsp butter
3 tbsp Light Corn Syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup MINI Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
1 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 cup caramel bits (if you can't find those 12 regular caramels work too)
1 tbsp heavy cream
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 tsp coarse sea salt.

1.  Pour measured cereal into a large microwaveable bowl. Set aside.

2.  Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or foil and set aside.

3.  In a small microwaveable bowl, heat brown sugar, butter and corn syrup uncovered on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until melted and smooth.  Stir in baking soda until dissolved.  Pour caramel mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.  Place bowl in microwave and microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring after every minute.  Spread on lined cookie sheet.  Cool 10 minutes and then break into bite-sized pieces.

3.  After the Chex mixture is cool to the touch, evenly sprinkle mini peanut butter cups candy and mini marshmallows over the Chex mixture.

4.  In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave caramel baking bits and cream uncovered on high for 1 minute or until chips can be stirred smooth.  Use a spoon or fork to drizzle over Chex mixture.   Repeat with milk chocolate baking chips and again with the white baking chips.  Quickly sprinkle coarse salt over all the chex mixture while candy drizzles are still wet.  Don't skip the salt it's totally worth it!

5.  Refrigerate until set. Break apart and store in tightly covered container.  Enjoy!

Source: Chef-in-Training

14 comments:

Sarah E. said...

YUM!! That just sounds so good! Have to pin to share :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Um, yeah. I get it. This mix? TOTALLY AWESOME. :)

Briana said...

Well, you surely got my attention! And now after reading about it, I believe you! I'm pinning too. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah @ Homestyle Cooking Around The World said...

This does look and sound so good. I will have to change the name a little also for the youngsters around.;)

Hillary Gadd said...

I am super shocked...and offended...I may have to speak to your ecclesiastical leader.

Cindy said...

Wow! This looks like I need to make it TODAY! We do love Muddy Buddies but this could over take them. Thanks for posting this on Sweet Saturday.

Casey said...

I saw this on a link up party and it caught my eye! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely put it on the "things to try list"!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I can't wait to try this, I love any kind of chex mix. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

Just solved my problem of what to take to the next Ladies Overnight Retreat. Seriously! (Five of us get together every spring and this would be yummy!)I would love it if you would consider linking to Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy, a Sunday through Thursday link party for ideas that make life easier, better and more fun

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

That Looks AMAZING!!! I need to make this! Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
Jill

Rachel said...

This has got to be so yummy. I look at all the ingredients and I know I'm gonna love it. Pinned! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Michelles Tasty Creations said...

Hi,

I followed you over from Wow Me Wednesday and can't wait to try this out. Sounds delish!

I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. (Link up until Monday 4-23-12)

Have a great day,
Michelle

Alyssa said...

This looks so good! I really like the peanut butter cups in it. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you there next week!

Jocelyn said...

I'm pretty sure I would eat the entire batch if I even came close to it!!! This sounds so yummy!!!

Post a Comment

Blogging tips