Monday, May 7, 2012

Loaded Malt Chocolate Chip Bars

I don't know why but sometimes recipes surprise me.

Seriously!

I think "oh this should be good" but I really am mostly making it because I have these whoppers that have been sitting in my cupboard for several months waiting for something miraculous and I really need to get rid of them and this is a perfect excuse....and the run on sentence continues.

I really didn't think these bars would be THAT good.  Chocolate chip bars, yummy but not my favorite (you know as in chocolate chip cookies are not my favorite kind of cookie either).

Boy was I surprised.  These bad boys were A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  We couldn't stay out of them to save our lives (okay maybe we could if it was life or death but I really didn't want to find out because there definitely would of been some hesitation)!

These are on our "make at least once a month" list.  Completely and totally worth making after the kids are in bed so you can eat most of the pan--okay face it, the whole pan!  And don't blame me for the new pants size.

Loaded Malt Chocolate Chip Bars


1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup malted milk powder
1 1/2 cups crushed malt balls (like Whoppers)
1 cup white chips
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup mini marshmallow bits, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350° F and line an 9x9 inch baking dish with foil.  Spray with non stick cooking spray and set aside.

2. Place butter and sugars into stand of electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy, at least 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat again until well combined.

3. Place flour, baking soda, salt and malted milk powder into a large bowl, mixing to combine. Slowly add to wet ingredients along with 1 cup of the crushed malt balls, 3/4 cup white chips, all of the chocolate chips and marshmallow bits. Beat on low until just combined.

4. Press dough into prepared baking dish and top with remaining crushed malt balls and white chips. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until deep golden brown and baked through. Let cool for 20 minutes before removing from baking dish. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Once cool, cut off 1/4 inch of the edges, then cut into bars, if desired.  Enjoy!

Source: Picky Palate
Blogging tips