Wednesday, February 13, 2013

BBQ Ranch Meatloaf [Crockpot]

We are snowed in here.  How about you?  I saw the storms all over the States and so thankful that we still have power and are enjoying being cooped up inside and warm.

When it starts to snow I immediately want to make something warm and yummy.  Soup usually wins out but the crockpot is near the top of my list too.

I've mentioned in the past we are a meat loving family.  I try to limit how much meat we eat but I grew up in a house where we raised our own chickens (for meat and for eggs), raised a cow to butcher and put in the freezer, and bought a pig from the local fair to add to freezer too.

So needless to say I have meat on the brain when it comes to dinner.  I really have to work hard on finding ways to make something without meat. 

One thing I loved growing up was my mom's meatloaf.  Simple, delicious, and no weird things hiding in it.  My kids love meatloaf too.  So when I came across this idea of putting the meatloaf in the crockpot--I was stoked.  What a great idea!

The meat was delicious and moist, had great flavor and was so easy to throw in the crockpot while we played in the snow and snuggled inside.  

BBQ Ranch Meatloaf [Crockpot]


3 lbs. lean ground beef
1 lb. sausage
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
3 eggs
1 packet dry powdered ranch mix
1/4 cup BBQ sauce (plus more for topping after it is cooked)
1/2 medium onion chopped finely
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. garlic

1. In a large bowl mix beef, sausage, oatmeal, eggs, ranch packet, 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce, onion, salt and garlic together by hand till everything is thoroughly incorporated. Form meat into a loaf shape and put in crockpot.

2. Add desired amount of BBQ sauce on top of loaf to glaze (if wanted) and cook on LOW for 6 hours. 
Once cooked and ready to serve, top with more BBQ sauce if needed or wanted. Enjoy!

Source: Chef-in-Training
Blogging tips