Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Huevos Rancheros

Pin It
We have a routine at our house when it comes to breakfast.  It's pretty simple and it always goes like this: (on the way home from the gym):
Me: What do you want for breakfast?
The hubs: I don't know.

Yep that's our routine.  Not that cool I know but I hate making the decision of what to eat every morning and he never feels like anything in particular.

I don't mind making breakfast at all. I just mind deciding on what to eat.  The kiddos are pretty good at eating what's in front of them so that's nice but still!

Plus I like to make things in the morning that are filling but still fast and easy.  I have our morning routine down to the minute so it's important that breakfast only take a certain amount of time.

There are certain members in my family that love eggs (and throw huge fits when we don't have them for breakfast everyday).  So I try to make an egg dish at least every other day. This is a super easy way to have this popular Mexican dish.  Because I make it in the morning I opted for canned salsa instead of a homemade version, but feel free to throw that in if you have a favorite homemade kind.

Huevos Rancheros

(click here for printable version)

For 1:
Corn tortilla
1 tsp oil
1/4 cup cheese (monterey jack or pepperjack are our favorites)
1/3 cup refried beans, heated
1 egg, fried
Salsa
Cilantro, chopped (optional)

1. In a small fry pan, over medium heat, add oil and lay tortilla on top.  Let tortilla cook till warmed through, then flip.  Sprinkle cheese on top of tortilla and let sit until cheese is melted.  Remove tortilla to plate, spread with heated refried beans and fried egg.  Top with salsa and cilantro. Eat immediately and enjoy!
Blogging tips