Saturday, February 6, 2010

Decadent Brownies

 
 I am not a huge fan of homemade brownies.  Every time I try a recipe, I really don't like it and I always go back to the box, which I think are pretty good by the way, until I found this one.  I absolutely love it!!!  How could you go wrong with so much butter and chocolate!  This time I spiced it up a little for Valentines, but they are great plain also.

1 pound butter (4 sticks)
1 pound + 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
6 large eggs
2 T. vanilla
2 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. flour, divided
1 T. baking powder
1 t. kosher salt


* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 2 9x13 pans (flour works great but I like to use cocoa so there is no flour residue on the bottom of the brownies).  In double boiler (or glass bowl on top of pan with water) melt butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate, until smooth.  Stir mixture often.  When completely melted, cool slightly.

*  In large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla together.  Stir in cooled chocolate mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.  Stir in 1 c. of the flour, baking powder and salt.  Toss remaining chocolate chips with 1/4 c. flour and add to chocolate mixture, stirring well.  Divide in half and pour in your pans.

* Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and drop 2-3 times on your counter (this step is important, but don't do it hard enough that your pan breaks, but enough to make the brownies "fall").  Put back in oven and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until done.  Cool and serve.

Note:  If you want to decorate them, it is better to have them completely cooled.  I covered mine and put them in the garage over night.  They were very easy to work with that way.  Here are some ideas for decorating:


(a heart cut out of the middle and then attached with some frosting)
  
(powdered sugar heart above and a dab of frosting with pink and red sprinkles below)
Blogging tips