Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sunny Morning Doughnuts

 
  My husband has wanted me to learn how to make doughnuts, it's one thing I have never tried, so I did it.  I started with these cake doughnuts and I thought they turned out very well.  We made them for a snack after lunch but tasteofhome says that they eat them for breakfast, what could get better than that, sugar in the morning?  

4 1/2-5 c. flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. milk
1/4 c. canola oil
2 T. orange juice
4 t. grated orange peel
Oil for frying
Powdered sugar

*  In a large bowl, combine 4 1/2 c. flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  In medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, oil, orange juice and peel.  Stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened.  Stir in enough of remaining flour to form soft dough ( I dumped it onto the counter at this point and kneaded it with my hands, adding the flour as neccessary to make a soft dough).  Cover and refrigerate atleast an hour (we did 5 hours and they still worked great).

* Heat oil in deep-fat fryer or electric skillet until 375 degrees.  Turn dough onto floured surface and roll to 1/4" thickness.  Cut with a floured 2 1/2" doughnut cutter ( I didn't have one so I used a circle cookie cutter and then a smaller cookie cutter to cut out the center).  Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides (it is very important that you have enough oil. The oil doesn't need to cover the doughnuts, but go atleast halfway up the sides of them to cook properly).  Drain on paper towels and dust with powdered sugar.
Blogging tips