Friday, April 9, 2010

Lemon Drop Cookies

When I found these on cjanecook (honestly I printed it out and then went back to link to it I couldn't find it anywhere so if you ever see it again, I got the recipe from her) I knew I had to make them.  I love lemon and they seem so "springesh" (I know that's not a real word) so on a warm day that felt like spring I made these and they were a huge hit.

2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. butter, softened
3 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 t. lemon extract
4 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
Zest of 1 lemon
6 oz (abt. 3/4 c.) lemon drops, crushed--use the blender (I found these at WinCo in the bulk section for those that live by one) 
2 c. powdered sugar, sifted
juice of 1 lemon

*  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In large mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening and eggs.  Add vanilla and lemon extract and mix well.  Stir in flour, baking soda and powder, salt, lemon zest and crushed lemon drops.  Roll into 1-inch balls, flatten slightly and bake on well-greased cookie sheet (lining it with parchment paper works well too) for 10 minutes or until light brown.  Let cool for 2 minutes on pan and then remove to wire rack.

* In small bowl make a glaze of juice of lemon and powdered sugar.  It is very important to sift the powdered sugar, it keeps the glaze very smooth.  Brush the glaze over the tops of the cookies after you remove to wire rack.  Let cool completely.  Enjoy!
Blogging tips