Monday, May 17, 2010

Hawaiin Haystacks

This is a staple at our house.  My son requests this everytime I ask him what he wants me to make for dinner.  I grew up eating this also, don't ask me why it's Hawaiin though because I asked my friend from Hawaii and they had never heard of this.  One of the reasons we have this so often is because you can customize it to whatever you like, if you hate tomatoes don't put them on, if you hate pineapple don't put it on, it's wonderful for picky eaters.

2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
2 large cans cream of chicken soup ( I will have to say that Campbells is the best for this)
3-4 c. chicken broth
2 c. rice
Toppings:
Chow mein noodles
Grated cheese
Pineapple
Tomatoes
Coconut
Slivered almonds
Fresh peas
Chopped Celery
Chopped Onions
Chopped Peppers

*  Cook your rice according to directions.  In large saucepan combine chicken, cream soup and broth (add as much or as little as you want, just depends on how thick you want it.  We like a thinner gravy), stirring till smooth and hot.  When rice is done serve with all the toppings that you want.  At our house we always do chow mein noodles on bottom, rice, chicken gravy and cheese.  My husband and I get a little more adventurous with adding tomatoes, pineapple, almonds and coconut. 

* Like I said before, don't be afraid to add other things.  People make this so many ways, be adventurous and maybe sometime try even cooking your own whole chicken and using the meat and broth for your gravy.  It's really not too hard.
Blogging tips