Monday, June 21, 2010

Magic Peanut Butter Middles

I have a love affair with chocolate (don't tell my husband) but then if you add peanut butter, wow!  These were very soft and moist and neither flavor is too strong, a perfect blend of chocolate and peanut butter.  This was a fun recipe to try, I have never made cookies quite like this, and my kids loved the surprise in the middle.
(by the way, I can't for the life of me remember where I found this recipe so if you have seen it let me know, thanks!)

1 1/3 c. flour
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. peanut butter
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
3/4 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. peanut butter

*  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In small bowl blend flour, cocoa and baking soda.  Mix until well blended.  In large bowl, beat sugars, butter and the 1/4 c. peanut butter until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and egg, beat well.  Stir in flour mixture until blended (mine was a little crumbly and I was a little worried but it turned out great).  Set aside.

*  To make filling, combine powdered sugar and 3/4 c. peanut butter.  Blend well ( side note: I put in more powdered sugar to make it less sticky).  Roll filling into 1 inch balls.  For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 T. of dough around one peanut butter ball, covering completely.  Place 2-inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.  Bake for 7-9 minutes.  When they are done they will look set and slightly cracked.
Blogging tips