Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fresh Salsa

Do you have lots of tomatoes hanging around your house?  I do.  I thought they wouldn't turn red with this cool summer we've had, but they finally did, and I love fresh salsa so I figured that would be a great way to use them up.  I have made it many ways but when I found this recipe on one of my favorite sites I knew it would be fantastic.  We took it to a football party (go Boise State!) and it was gone within a few minutes.  I guess I should have made more, or at least set some aside at my house for later eating.  :)

2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and very coarsely chopped (you can leave the seeds in if you want really hot salsa)
4 cloves garlic, halved
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes
1 (28 0z.) can diced tomatoes (drained or not, depending on how much liquid you want in your salsa.  I used a can of Rotel because I didn't have diced tomatoes on hand and cut out the fresh jalapenos.  It worked great.)
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. cumin
1/2 sweet yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 c. fresh cilantro (I am not a cilantro fan so I left it out)
Juice of one lime

1.  In the bowl of a food processor, combine the jalapenos and garlic.  Process until finely chopped.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add all other ingredients to the food processor.  Pulse in very brief pulses until the vegetables have reached the size you desire (it does not take many pulses so don’t overdo it).  Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
Blogging tips