Monday, December 20, 2010

Zuppa Toscana

Do you ever have recipes that you put off making time and time again?  This recipe kept getting pushed back to another week, I just wasn't in the mood for it.  But after getting some kale in my Bountiful Basket--have you ever heard of this amazing thing--I knew that I should just make it and stop putting it off.
Wow!  This was so yummy.  I have had it several times at Olive Garden and I thought it was even better than the restaurant if I do say so myself.  My 10 year old absolutely loved it, even having it for a snack after school.  

3 cans (14oz) Chicken Broth
2 cups whipping cream
red pepper flakes, to taste (and totally optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
1 small onion, diced, sauteed
1/2 pkg. bacon, cooked and crumbled
4-5 cups chopped kale
3 to 4 potatoes scrubbed and cut into slices or small chunks, skins left on
1 lb Johnsonville mild Italian sausage (shaped into small rounds, browned, and put on paper towels to de-grease... or if you are in a rush, just brown the sausage like you would ground beef--that's what I did and I preferred it that way.  You get a piece in each bite).


1.  Put everything except for potatoes together in a large crockpot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. Add potatoes the last 40-60 minutes (if you add them too soon they will get soggy).  Enjoy!

These would be awesome with focaccia bread.

Source:  Favorite Family Recipes
Blogging tips