Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bacon & Egg Toast Cups

How was your New Year?
Have you made your goals yet?  Do you even do that?
I usually don't--mostly because then I am not disappointed when I don't make my goals.  This year I vow to make it different--why?  Because my husband and I are going on a cruise in February!!
We have never been on a cruise before and I want to look good--isn't that so vain, but hey it's the truth, so I have a gym membership and it's on to reaching my goal, wish me luck!

Anyways, on to food, since my children were on break for 2 weeks we have been experimenting with breakfast.  This was one of the ones we tried.  It turned out very well, plus it's a all in one breakfast, which is exactly what I need when we are running late on school mornings!  Try it out, we loved it.

6 slices of bacon, uncooked or precooked
6 slices of whole wheat bread
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6 eggs
Salt and pepper

1.  Preheat the oven to 400° F. Spray large muffin pan with cooking spray. In a frying pan, cook bacon about 3-5 minutes, until partially cooked but not completely crispy (if using precooked bacon skip this step). Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Cut out circles (about 3 1/2 inches) in each piece of bread using a cookie cutter or a drinking glass turned upside down.

2. Press the bread rounds into the greased muffin wells. Curl a piece of bacon around the periphery of each piece of bread, positioning it between the bread and the muffin tin to help keep it in position. This can be a little tricky until you get the hang of it. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese in the center of each piece of bread. Crack one egg over each piece of bread being careful not to break the yolks. You may not want to use all of the egg white. If you do you may need to adjust the cooking time to a little longer. 

Once all the bread pieces have been topped with eggs, bake until eggs are cooked through to your liking (about 18 minutes for me because I used all of the egg white) and bacon is crispy. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin well and pop the egg cups out. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

Healthier Option: Use turkey bacon.

Blogging tips