Friday, February 18, 2011

Pie Pops

According to my 2 younger sisters at college, pies are all the rage right now.  Especially for weddings. Cupcakes were so last year!

If that is true these little babies are awesome!  At least if you have a good pie crust recipe.  Because these pie pops are mostly pie crust, with little filling, you have to have a pie crust that is actually edible.

Have you ever eaten a pie and just couldn't bring yourself to finish it because the pie crust was disgusting?  Or you eat everything but the pie crust?  I do that all the time because I am not going to waste my calories on disgusting shortening dough.

If I can brag (too late I am just going to do it) my pie crust is amazing.  It actually tastes good!  I am serious.  It makes these little beauties worth eating.  You can actually eat up the entire pie and not just the filling.  You should try it, I have never gone back.

These little pie pops can be filled with whatever pie filling you have on hand or heck just stick in a few chocolate chips.  I used apple with a little brown sugar and cinnamon because that is what I had on hand, but you could do almost anything.  I also used the heart shape cut outs because I thought nothing says "wedding" than some hearts!  Hope you try them.

Pie Crust:
4 c. white flour
1 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
1 3/4 c. Butter-flavored Crisco
1/2 c. ice water
1 t. vinegar
1 large egg, beaten
Glaze:
1 t. butter, melted
1 t. milk
1 c. powdered sugar

1. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt.  Cut crisco into flour mixture till mixture resembles fine crumbs.  In small bowl, mix ice water, vinegar and egg.  Add to dry mixture and mix until just moistened (should be almost sticky).  Divide in half.  I only used half of this recipe.  The rest I split in half again and froze each portion.  It freezes great and will be enough for two pice crusts.

2.  Roll out pie dough on mat, until 1/8" thick.  Cut out in whatever shape you wish.  Don't use over a 2" size because the sucker stick won't be able to hold it.  

3.  Fill one side of the heart with filling, making sure to leave room at the edges.  Add sucker stick, pressing down slightly.

4.  Put another heart on top of the filling and press sides together, especially around the stick.  Using a fork crimp the edges.  Put on cookie sheet.
5.  Bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes or until light brown.  While cooking mix glaze together in small bowl until smooth.  Add more or less powdered sugar to achieve your desired consistency.  Spread on warm pops and decorate.  Eat and Enjoy!

Idea from Best Bites

Blogging tips