Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pizza Hut Pan Pizza

We don't travel much...although I'm hoping to change that!

One of the few places we have visited was Chicago.  I loved the whole experience--as long as you don't count driving 24 hours straight with 3 children in the backseat, terrible morning sickness and wanting to puke every 15 miles, and miles of absolute nothingness--I mean have you traveled through Nebraska? (sorry Nebraskans but it's true).  

Other than those things I loved it.  I had never been in such a huge city, nothing in Idaho even compares.  So many people, freeways that boggled my mind, wandering off the beaten path--oops!, the Shedd Aquarium, the Hancock Tower and one of my favorites, the Museum of Science and Industry.

And of course, we visited as many restaurants as we could.  Thanks to our wonderful family who lives there, our two favorites were Ed Debevics and Gino's East. 

Ed Debevics was a riot.  Where else do you get yelled at and made fun of while you eat?  Any other place you would stand up and demand your money back.  We laughed almost the entire time.  Thank heavens the relatives warned us.  

Gino's East was absolutely amazing.  I learned that pizza is an art and it should taste fabulous.  Ever since then I have been on a quest to find delicious pizza.  I have come across quite a few so when I found this recipe I knew what was for dinner.  I love Pizza Hut's crust, probably because it tastes so buttery, and if I could replicate it, yummolicious!

This recipe was very close.  It is definitely on our list of keepers.  Plus I love the deep dish.

1 1/3 c. warm water
1/4 c. Non-fat dry milk
1/2 t. Salt
4 c. Flour
1 T. Sugar
1 pk Dry yeast
2 T. Vegetable oil (for dough)
9 Oz. Vegetable oil (3 oz. per pan) – (I just use enough to coat the pan)
Butter flavored Pam (non-stick cooking spray)
Pizza sauce
Shredded mozzarella
Toppings: ham, pepperoni, sausage, pineapple, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.
Garlic butter

1.  Put yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a large bowl. Add water and stir to mix well. Allow to sit for two minutes. Add oil and stir again. Add flour and stir until dough forms and flour is absorbed. 

2.  Turn out on to a flat surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Divide dough into three balls. In three 9″ cake pans (or one 9" pie plate and one 9" x 13" dish), put 3 Oz. of oil in each making sure it is spread evenly. 

3.  Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to about a 9″ circle. Place in cake pans. Spray the outer edge with Pam. Cover with a plate. Place in warm area and allow to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

4.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Spoon 1/3 cup sauce on each pizza and spread to within 1 inch of edge.  Distribute 1 1/2 oz. of shredded mozzarella cheese on each pizza.  

5.  Place toppings of your choice in this order – pepperoni or ham, vegetables, meats (cooked ground sausage or beef).  Top with 3 oz. mozzarella cheese.  Cook until cheese is bubbling and outer crust is brown – about 15 minutes.  Then brush outer edge of crust with garlic butter.

Enjoy!


Blogging tips