Friday, March 25, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

Growing up my Dad was fond of saying certain things.  One of those was "[blank] is the staff of life."

He would insert whatever foods happened to be his favorite at the time.  They usually included eggs, onions, liver, and oatmeal.  As children we were always so grossed out.  I mean who likes liver and onions? 

Okay, this is a tangent but is it growing up on a farm that makes people like cow parts (ie: liver, heart, tongue)? I didn't inherit it and neither did my brothers and sisters but my Dad sure did.   My grandmother was so fond of making heart and tongue sandwiches and would always try to give us bites.  I am proud to say I never even tried it once--so gross!

Anyway, I now use this saying with my children but we insert much different things.  Things like:

Chocolate
Eggs
Chocolate
Pasta
Chocolate
Bread
Chocolate

You get the idea.  Chocolate comes out on top every time.  I really wish it wasn't a "staff of life" at our house, it would sure make my life a lot easier.  But it is and I guess I just have to deal with it, oh shucks!

This is a very easy, decadent, rich pie. It is very yummy completely cool or warm and gooey. Trust me, I tried it both ways :).


Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie


1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust, homemade or store-bought.
2 large eggs
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. white granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. real butter, softened (it needs to be the real stuff)
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. chopped pecans (optional)
Vanilla ice cream (it makes it so much better!)
optional: chocolate sauce (I adore my homemade hot fudge sauce)
1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Beat eggs in large mixing bowl on high speed until foamy. Beat in flour, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in butter. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Spoon into pie shell.

2.  Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack or serve slightly warmed. Serve with ice cream and chocolate sauce. Enjoy!

Source: Best Bites

Blogging tips