Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Crunchy Asian Chicken Salad

Do you ever have conversations like this at your house?

Person not to be named: "What are we having for dinner?"

Me:  "Salad."

Person not to be named: "Really?  Are you sure we can't have something else?"

Me:  "Yes, I'm sure.  It's a new salad you will like it."

Person not to be named:  "But I'm going to be hungry in an hour if I have salad."

Me:  "Why do we have to have this conversation every time we have salad?"

And on it goes.  I'm serious.  Every time I make salad for dinner we have a conversation that is just like the one above.  I don't know why because...and I kid you not...after we eat dinner he always thanks me for having salad because it makes him feel so good and healthy.  Silly boy!

I love to have salad for dinner, especially as spring and summer comes around.  This is a keeper.  It will be on our list for a long time.  My husband and I loved it.  The flavors are fantastic and I love the crunch the peanuts give.  As a side note, if you are not a huge fan of cilantro (which I am not) don't worry, it is not overpowering and it adds a little zest that is perfect for the combination of ingredients.

Crunchy Asian Chicken Salad

Marinade:
1 lb. skinless and boneless chicken breasts
3 T. olive oil
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. cilantro, chopped fine
1 t. salt and pepper
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
Dressing:
1/2 c. olive oil
1/4 c. fresh lime juice
1 T. grated lime peel
3 T. white wine vinegar
1/4 t. chili powder
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt and pepper
Salad Ingredients:
Combination of shredded Napa Cabbage and baby spinach (about 5-6 cups)
1 c. shredded carrots
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 c. chopped peanuts

1.  Cut chicken breasts into thin strips.  In a bowl combine 3 Tbsp olive oil, 2 Tbsp lime juice, 1 Tbsp cilantro, cayenne, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.  Add chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.  Heat pan and saute chicken until cooked through.  Set aside to cool.

2.  In a bowl mix together the 1/2 c. olive oil, 1/4 c. lime juice, lime peel, vinegar, chili powder, sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper.

3.  In a large bowl,  add together cabbage, spinach, carrots, cilantro, chicken and peanuts.  Add in dressing mixture and toss.  Enjoy!


Blogging tips