Monday, March 21, 2011

Berrymisu Trifle


It's Spring Break at our house and I can't wait to have some fun with my kiddos.  I have some wonderful recipes to share this week, perfect for Spring that I am hoping is right around the corner!
I love trifle!

Probably because there are so many ways you can eat it.  Plus it always looks so pretty and is perfect for a party.  And I love a good party!

A couple weeks ago I was picked to be part of Philadelphia's Cooking Creme House Party.  I had never done a house party before and was very excited to do it.  Like I said before, I love an excuse to party.  
Plus Philadelphia sent lots of party favors for my guests.
After receiving my box in the mail, I had to pick what to make.  All the recipes were for main dishes but I LOVE desserts. I did make a main dish--that will be shared later- but I made a dessert table also and served this beautiful lady.
She totally reminds of Spring.  Very light and fluffy, and so delicious.  The original recipe calls for raspberries but I used fresh strawberries and it worked perfectly. 
Berrymisu Trifle

1 c. pureed strawberries
12 oz. cream cheese, softened 
1 3/4 c. sugar, divided
2 c. heavy whipping cream
3/4 c. water
1/2 c. lemon juice, bottled or freshly squeezed
50 crisp ladyfingers or 40 chamagne/almond biscuits, crisp style (I could not find these so I used shortbread cookies and they worked great)
sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
fresh strawberries, for garnish

1.  In a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1 cup sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool until lukewarm to the touch. 

2. Using a handheld or electric stand mixer, beat the softened cream cheese and 3/4 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl until smooth. In a medium bowl, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture, using a rubber spatula to fold the mixture together so the cream doesn’t deflate. Fold in the strawberry puree and gently mix until just combined.

3.  To assemble, briefly dip the ladyfingers or biscuits (or cookies) in the syrup – about 1-2 seconds each side. Layer the soaked ladyfingers/biscuits/cookies in a single layer in the trifle dish. Gently spread about 1 c. of the strawberry cream cheese mixture over the ladyfingers then repeat the layers, ending with the strawberry cream cheese . Refrigerate the trifle for 3 hours (or up to 12), garnish with additional sweetened whipped cream, if desired, and fresh strawberries and serve chilled.  Enjoy!




Blogging tips