Friday, March 18, 2011

Cafe Rio Dressing

Okay so you all know I live in Idaho...and I love it!

Even after traveling other places I am always so excited to come back to Idaho (if you've never been you are sure missing out I promise!).  

One thing I always notice when I come back is a lot of my fellow Idahoans don't drive the speed limit.  I get a little upset following them because I am a speed limit kind of girl.  It's especially bad after I come back from driving in Seattle where no one ever does the speed limit, in fact is there a speed limit in Seattle Jenny (just kidding I know there is)? I coast along with traffic and it's great.  I never get upset with anyone driving too slow there!

Anyway...so I'm getting off topic...but one part of living in a fairly small town (hey we almost doubled our population in the last 10 years--that's exciting) is that we don't have a lot of restaurants to choose from.

About a year ago Cafe Rio came to town.  Oh man you should of seen the lines.  I'm not kidding!  For days the line would got out the doors and you would have to wait quite a while to get your food BUT that was totally worth it because we got a new restaurant in town.  So exciting!!!

I have to admit though, I had never eaten at Cafe Rio before. After one dinner I was hooked, at least to the Pork Salad.  I never have anything else there.  I always say I am going to branch out and nope when it's time to order I get...yep..you guessed it, the Pork Salad.  Part of the reason is because I love the dressing.

So after trying several recipes, this is my favorite so far.  It is excellent on salad and excellent on tacos--beef or chicken. We love it at our house, hope you will too.

Cafe Rio Dressing

1 packet regular Hidden Valley Ranch mix (not BUTTERMILK)
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. buttermilk
2 tomatillos, remove husk, diced
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro, washed and chopped
1 clove garlic
juice of 1 lime
1 jalepeno (if you like it spicy leave the seeds in, other wise remove the seeds)

Mix all ingredients together in the blender until smooth.  Refrigerate until ready to use, we'll thick as it gets colder.  Enjoy!


Blogging tips