Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes

Happy St. Patrick's Day
I know it's really tomorrow but I couldn't resist sharing today!

When I think of St. Patrick's Day I always think of leprechauns and thinking of leprechauns always makes me think of rainbows, hence the cupcakes.

I remember distinctly in 5th grade we were learning about the light spectrum.  We were suppose to memorize the order of the colors in the rainbow.  It seemed like such a daunting task until a certain, amazing fellow came into my life.

Want to know his name?

Roy G. Biv!

Oh Roy how you have made my life so much easier.  You have made my day many times over the years and I will never forget you! I promise...it's been 20 years and I still remember you and I will pass you down from generation to generation.

Roy comes in handy so many times.  Like today, when I was making cupcakes.  I pulled all my colors and thought...what colors should I be looking for.  And boom! I remember him:
R-red
O-orange
Y-yellow
G-green
B-blue
I-indigo
V-violet
(and incidentally that is the same amount of the letters in the word rainbow--sweet!! You know in case you want to color each letter a color of the rainbow....anyway...)

Unfortunately not all of Roy's colors fit in my cupcake muffins though, but there is still another day.  But the ones that did fit are sure pretty!!

My kids loved these and were so excited to see them on the counter.  Hope you have a wonderful St. Pattie's Day and don't forget your green--you don't want to get pinched!

Rainbow Cupcakes

1 white cake mix
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. vegetable oil
Food Gel in desired colors

1.  Combine all ingredients until incorporated (about 30 seconds). Scrape sides of bowl and then beat on med-high speed for 3 minutes.  Divide batter according to how many colors you are using. I used 5 colors and it was just about 1 cup per color.

2.  Use food coloring to color batter to desired intensity. Wilton brand gel colors have the brightest colors and won't thin your batter. 

3.  To get a layered stripe, you'll want to put a spoonful (or a small scoop is perfect for this) of each color in the cupcake one at a time, it works out to be about 2 t. of each color.  The batter is thick, so it won't spread on it's own. A great tip is to set out a little bowl of water where you're working. Dip your finger in the water and then gently spread the batter out. The water will make it so the batter doesn't stick to your fingers.  

4.  Bake them according to the package directions, until a toothpick comes out dry. Makes around 15 cupcakes.

5.  Frost with your favorite frosting.  Enjoy!



Sharing this with: Blue Cricket Design, Red Ted Art.


Blogging tips