Monday, March 14, 2011

Kansas City Sioux Crockpot Chicken

Now that Girl Scout Cookie Week is over I thought I should share something a little healthier.

Speaking of being healthier I am so proud of myself!!  I know, I know I'm bragging but this is a big deal--so much so that my husband laughed at me when I told him because he thought it was a joke.  I'm serious!

You see, I hate getting up in the morning.  Not because I'm a night owl because I love to go to bed too.  I just love to sleep, at least at night because I'm not a nap person either. Okay another reason I'm weird.

Since the time I was a little kid, if my mom couldn't find me it was because I was in bed sleeping.  I would even put myself to bed at night (oh how I wish one of my children inherited that from me).

If I have to get up in the morning I can (like early morning classes in high school and exercising every morning in college because I was so scared I was going to gain the "freshman 15") BUT I try to avoid it at all costs.

For example:  when my oldest son was old enough to get up in the morning by himself (and I only had one child), I would have the  TV set to PBS so when he got up he would go to the living room and watch TV until I got up (don't worry people I was always up by 8:30 am).  

And my kids know to always wake up Dad at night because it's not a good idea to wake up Mom.  I'm just making up for 6 years of getting up in the night and feeding my babies!

And I have a designated morning to sleep in:  Saturday (and every know its).  Oh it's my favorite day, mostly because my husband let's me sleep in for as long as I want.  Unfortunately I can't sleep in like use to, dang it!!  But it's the thought that counts right?

Anyways, I digress.  I have known for at least 6 months that I should get up very early (like 5:45 am) and exercise so I can have the rest of my day free to do the many things us ladies have to do.  Like blog when my son is at preschool so I can spend time with him when he is home and not be on the computer.

So last week I did it.  I got up early and worked out!!!  Thanks to a friend who said she would pick me up so I couldn't back out (how did she know I was thinking that?) and guess what?!!?  I felt so much better on the days that I got up and got so much more done--duh!

 After so many years of making fun of people who got up early (sorry Erika), I am a total believer.  I can't believe I'm saying that but there it is, so hopefully I will see you in the gym, bright and early!

Wow--if you stuck through all that...here's an awesome recipe.  We loved it, especially because it goes in the crockpot and is so easy.

Kansas City Sioux Crockpot Chicken


(click here for printable version)

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 T. butter or olive oil
1/4 c. ketchup
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 onion, diced
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 t. dry mustard
1 c. low-sodium beef broth

1. In a large skillet, heat the butter/olive oil. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and cook them for 1-2 minutes on each side, until nicely browned but not cooked all the way through. Remove the chicken to the slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine all the other ingredients. Whisk well. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours. Serve with rice.  Enjoy!

Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Sharing this with: Sew Chatty, A Southern Fairy Tale, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Skip to My Lou, CRAFT, Make Ahead Meals, Delightfully Dowling, Our Journey, Sugar Bee Crafts, Beauty and Bedlam, Happy Housewife, Blessed with Grace.
Blogging tips