Friday, March 11, 2011

Girl Scout Cookie Truffles

Girl Scout Cookie Recipe #3

I was going to call these treats "Samoan Truffles", but I thought people might think they were actually made in Samoa.  The thought of a big Samoan tattooed warrior seizing a truffle, pursing his lips, and saying "delectable" in his best manly Samoan voice just doesn't seem to add up.  

Even so, my "manly Samoan warrior" (ok, that's probably a mischaracterization of my husband) really loved these truffles.  

Apparently the Samoas and Thin Mints are the two best-selling Girl Scout Cookies.  So I figured while I was at it I might as well make thin Mint Truffles too since they are the #1 cookie and I had already made the #2 cookie (and if truth be told I just wanted more chocolate to eat!!).

Seriously, how could you go wrong with 2 kinds of Girl Scout cookie truffles?  

I do have to say though that I prefer the Samoa truffles to the Thin Mint ones.

But that's just me...and my husband...and several friends...and okay you get the idea.  Don't get me wrong, the Thin Mints were still very good, the Samoas were just better--well if you like coconut anyway!  

Samoa Truffles


1 box Samoa cookies
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. coconut
Dark chocolate candy melts
Nonpareils

Thin Mint Truffles

1 box Thin Mints
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
Dark chocolate candy melts
Nonpareils

1.  Crush the Samoas or Thin Mints very finely.  A food processor makes this very easy and wonderful (if you don't have one a Ziploc bag and a rolling pin will work fairly well).

2.  Add crushed cookies to a medium sized bowl with the cream cheese and coconut (only for the Samoas).  Mix well, using your hand, making sure the cream cheese is not showing. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  

3.  Melt candy melts and using a fork or toothpick (totally up to you) dip truffles completely in the chocolate, letting the excess drip off before placing back on the wax paper.  Sprinkle with nonpareils and refrigerate until firm.  Enjoy!

Blogging tips