Friday, April 1, 2011

Seared Scallops with Pineapple Cucumber Salsa

I mentioned previously that I got to go to Seattle last week.  I have only been there in passing so this was my first real, stay for awhile trip.  My children and I got to visit my sister and her family.  What a great time we had.

And wow!  The weather was absolutely beautiful and we totally enjoyed our time.  I loved seeing the green every where and smelling the pine trees.  Two things that we only get to see and smell in the mountains in Idaho.

For a day we headed to downtown Seattle.  One of the many places we stopped was Pike's Place.  Oh how I would love having a market like this in my town.  The fresh ingredients everywhere just made my mind go spinning.  How nice to walk in and grab whatever I need for dinner.  I guess that's what you get when you live in big city, I just get my garden, which is my pride and joy if I can say so.  Anyway...I couldn't resist some pictures to share.




These next pictures were not from the market but they were our lunch and dessert.  I had never eaten crab before (I know, I know...but hey it's not very plentiful where I live nor very accessible) so we had King Crab legs for lunch.  Oh heaven!!  I am fan now and just might have to pay $50 dollars a pound for these babies.
Then it was on to dessert.  I think the picture speaks for itself.
Now back to the scallops.  

My husband loves scallops.  It's not a flimsy sort of love it's a anytime he sees one anywhere no matter the price that is what he always wants and can't wait kind of love.  So when I saw these fresh little ladies at the market I knew what to bring home to him (poor guy had to stay home and work while we played).

Boy was he happy!  I walked in the door with that package and he immediately wanted to make them.  Silly boy, I had to unpack.

Needless to say, they didn't last long.  Especially not with this salsa on them.  It was perfect and quite yummy even for a scallops hating person that I am.  My husband savored every bite and ranted and raved about how good they were!

Seared Scallops with Pineapple Cucumber Salsa


1 c. peeled and diced cucumber
1 1/2  c. diced canned pineapple, drained
3 T.  cilantro leaves, chopped
1 T. finely chopped red onion
1 lime, juiced
2 1/2 t. finely grated lime zest
1 t. finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1/4 t. kosher salt
2 pounds sea scallops
Freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1.  In a bowl, combine the cucumber, pineapple, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, lime zest, jalapeno, and salt. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
2.  Rinse the scallops and pat them dry. Season them with salt and pepper, to taste.  Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the scallops, without moving them in the pan until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Arrange on serving plates and serve with a generous topping of salsa. Enjoy!



Blogging tips