Monday, August 8, 2011

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

 If you follow my facebook page, many of you knew that my birthday was last week.

According to my children I am officially old.  My son even asked me, in all seriousness, if I was born in the 17th century.  I just laughed (and maybe cried a little bit) because I remember thinking that my parents were old when they were in their thirties.  Now that I have been here for a few years I can't believe I thought my parents were old!

Anyways to celebrate I made some cupcakes for myself and ate some of the most amazing chocolate cake I have ever tasted in my life.  I am so dead serious.  It was layers and layers of chocolate cake, dark chocolate cream filling, chocolate chips, and frosting.  Oh my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it! I am hoping I can get him to share the recipe. It was absolutely to die for. 

Anyways...chocolate cake is clouding my mind but these cupcakes were pretty amazing too.  The cupcakes are very moist and the hint of cinnamon in the buttercream frosting is perfect.  And nothing is better than adding a chocolate snickerdoodle to the top.  Completely optional but completely delicious.

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting


3 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 sticks butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
Cinnamon sugar: 
1 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sift together dry ingredients (except for cinnamon sugar).  In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 -3 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.  Add vanilla.  Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk beginning and ending with flour.  Fill cupcake pans 2/3 full.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes and remove. Let cool completely before frosting.

Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
1/2 c. butter, softened
3-4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon

1.  With the paddle attachment cream butter until smooth and creamy for 2-3 minutes.  With mixer on low speed, add 3 cups sugar, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon; mix until light and fluffy.  If necessary gradually add remaining cup of sugar to reach desired consistency.  Frost cupcakes and add a chocolate snickerdoodle, if desired.  Enjoy!




Sharing with these fabulous linky parties
and
Beauty and Bedlam
and
Tidy Mom
Blogging tips