Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mango Black Bean Quinoa Salad

You're probably wondering what in the heck is quinoa, and by the way it's pronounced Keen-wah, which I figured out the embarrassing way.  Kinda looked like a dork when I asked the grocery clerk where the qu-no-ah was.  He kindly informed of the right way to say it so now you know too and won't look like a dork like me.

 Of course I had to google it because I didn't know what it was and I like to know what I am eating.  Google told me that quinoa is a grain that is a wonderful source of iron, fiber, calcium and iron. It's also a complete protein source and it's also gluten free.  It's usually used in place of rice or couscous and they say is a great substitute for any of those.

Now that you know too, I was searching the other day to find a way to use my mangos.  I wanted to try something new.  And something healthier.  Summer does that to me.  With everything coming on in my garden I wanted something light and fresh and just healthy.  I found this recipe and thought that sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

I was a little worried about the kids liking something so different especially when it seems healthy, but I love introducing them to new foods.  Plus I believe every child should taste every food no matter how revolting it looks.  How can you hate something you never have tried--a standard phrase at our house.  Plus now my youngest loves broccoli after hating it for 3 years, see sometimes it happens.

This salad was amazing.  The fresh veggies and fruit were perfect for the hot summer day.  I served it with some grilled chicken and it was a wonderful dinner.

Mango and Black Bean Quinoa Salad


2 cups quinoa cooked in chicken broth (just substitute broth for water), at room temperature, or chilled (here is a great tutorial on how to cook it)
1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1-2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper

1.  Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl.  Add mango, red pepper, green onion, black beans, and cilantro.  In a small bowl combine vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice.  Whisk until smooth and pour on top of salad.  Toss to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.  Chill for at least one hour before serving.  Enjoy!


Blogging tips