Friday, August 12, 2011

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

I don't know what it is about this time of year but babies seem to be coming out of the woodwork in our families.

In the past 2 months we have had 4 babies born and two announced.  I guess that's what happens when you have 9 kids in your family and 12 in your husbands'.  It has been lots of fun to see them, smell them,  hold and cuddle them, and then give them back to their parents.

You know what I mean?

As much as I love holding a brand new baby I love knowing we are done having children.  My children on the other hand are coming to terms with it.  Especially my daughters.  They see new babies and ask constantly for a little brother or sister.  I will not cave to peer pressure no matter how much they look at me with those puppy dog eyes!

So in honor of Miranda, Ezra, Grace, and Ruth we made some cookies.  A perfectly natural thing to do, don't you think?  

I am a sucker for oatmeal cookies, especially warm, gooey ones (okay that's any cookie).  Plus I love that it has toffee and coconut in it, which is also amazing in my book.  And by the way, this is my favorite oatmeal butterscotch cookie to date. 

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies


3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ c. old fashioned oats
3/4 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. butterscotch chips
1/4 c. toffee bits

1.  Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper, or just give it a nice spray with non-stick cooking spray.  In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Stir to blend, and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugars and beat on medium-high speed until light and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.  Beat in the egg until incorporated.  Blend in the vanilla.  With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated.  With a spatula, fold in the oats, coconut, butterscotch chips and toffee bits until evenly combined.

2.  Drop scoops of dough, about 2 tablespoons each, onto the prepared baking sheets, a few inches apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, until just set and light golden, rotating the pans halfway through baking.  Let cool on the pans about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Enjoy!

Source:  Annie's Eats



Sharing with these fabulous linky parties
and
Tidy Mom
Blogging tips